How to remove dark circles
A. Home Remedies:
Some of the best remedies on how to get rid of dark circles lie in our kitchen. Here are some of the best home-made remedies to wash away dark circles:
- Tomatoes are highly effective for treating dark circles. You can prepare a mixture using 1 teaspoon of fresh tomato juice, ½ teaspoon of lemon juice, a pinch of turmeric and gram flour (besan). Apply it gently under the eye and leave it for ten minutes and then rinse it off.
- The cooling properties of cucumber and potatoes make them effective remedies of dark circle. You can apply any of these two on your eyes to diminish darkness and swelling. Slice or grate the two vegetables and place the slice over the eyes. You can also use the juice and dab some with a cotton ball. You can even leave the remedy over night for better results. However, it is advisable to apply juice on the affected area rather than placing slices over the eyes.
- Tea bags are also considered as a beneficial treatment for dark circles. Place one cold tea bag on each eye and let it rest for a while. Pat it dry and you will see your eyes rejuvenated.
- Another effective and one of the most popular remedies to remove dark circles is almond oil. Apply almond oil around your eyes and leave it overnight. Wash if off gently after waking up in the morning.
- Cold compress also helps treat dark circles. You may use an ice bag, cloth dipped in cold water, or a frozen spoon. Simply dab anyone of these near the eyes. This will instantly reduce the appearance of dark circles.
- Crushed mint is a good option for treating under eye dark circles. It gives a cooling effect and immediately soothes tired eyes, which help to reduce dark circles. Place crushed mint leaves around the eyes and leave it for a while. Wipe off the residue with damp cotton.
- Water is the most essential component and the pillar of all remedies. It promotes proper blood circulation around the eyes and prevents blood accumulation. Drink around 8 to 10 glasses of water daily to flush off toxins and have a healthy skin.
- You can also apply a mixture of pineapple juice and turmeric under your eyes.
- Dip cotton balls in rose water and keep on the under eye area for 20 minutes. This will also help to reduce dark circle.
- Cut some fresh figs in half and keep them under the eyes. Keep it there for 20 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
Eat fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and iron. Blend 2 fresh tomatoes, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and drink the juice daily or every alternate day for a healthy skin and refreshed eyes.
Daily exercises along with deep breathing improves blood circulation, oxygenation and controls stress. Accompanied with adequate sleep and relaxation, a daily exercise regime leads to a healthier lifestyle resulting in reduced dark circles.
Gentle movements and a light touch are essential while removing makeup and applying creams. Avoid massaging the area as that might pull and drag the skin and stretching of the skin often leads to wrinkles. Massaging should be done by professionals so that correct techniques are employed. A cleansing gel or a makeup remover should be used to remove every trace of makeup with a cotton wool. Gels and creams help to dissolve makeup and grime and thus facilitate their removal.
C. Dark Circle Treatment:
1. Chemical peeling:
Chemosurgery is commonly known as chemical peeling. It involves a number of chemical agents to treat various skin conditions like hyperpigmentation on the face or body, scars due to acne or wounds and fine wrinkles. Chemical peeling is a non-evasive treatment for dark circle. A chemical peel is generally performed by a dermatologist and anesthesian. Chemical peels helps to rejuvenate the skin around the eyes by exfoliating the damaged upper layer of the skin to reveal a new and healthier skin layer.
The latest and the most effective and soothing peels for dark circle is Argi peel which contains arginine, lactic acid, allantoin and aloe vera. Arginine is an amino acid derived from brown sugar which boosts collagen, increases elasticity and moisturises the skin. Lactic acid exfoliates and lightens the skin. Allantoin and aloe vera helps to soothe and regenerate the skin. This is used in conjunction with vitamin C and matrixyl that provides firmness and resistance to the skin around the eye.
The skin on the eye lid is very thin, so medium or deep chemical peels are not advised as they have a potential to cause damage to the eye balls. Superficial peels like Glycolic or AHA peels are normally used in such cases, because they are the weakest variant of chemical peels and do not penetrate very deeply.
2. Intense Pulse Treatment:
Intense Pulse Treatment (IPL) reduces dark circle by destroying pigment cells that cause discolouration and smoothens the skin under the eye. IPL uses high energy light waves to penetrate the skin under the eye. The light waves constrict blood vessels which results in less prominent discolouration. IPL treatment is one of the most effective dark circle treatments but it is too costly. A person will be required to sit for several sessions to achieve the desired results. The frequency of the treatment depends on the magnitude of the circles and overall health and lifestyle of the patient.
3. Laser treatment:
Laser treatment is another effective treatment for dark circle removal. With laser treatment, the fat deposited under the eye is targeted. After the laser treatment, the skin under the eye becomes smooth and less discoloured.
In laser treatment, an ultraviolet light or infrared invisible light is used to create a wave length that releases energy as they move across the skin. The energy is absorbed through the skin layers and gives a soothing effect, while correcting the dark and irregular skin pigments that cause dark circle.
Eye surgery for dark circle is known as blepharoplasty which is performed by a plastic surgeon. The under eye fat deposits are removed resulting in less puffiness, less discolouration and more lively eyes. There are two types of under eye surgery. One is transcutaneous lower lid blepharoplasty where 1 or 2 incision below the lower lid eyelashes is made. It is the ideal solution for those who have more skin under the eye.
The second one is for dark circles under the eye. A local anaesthesia is given for general comfort and may even result in some bruising and swelling lasting for about a week. It’s better to weigh the pros and cons before going for the surgery.
D. Creams For Dark Circles:
Various topical creams, ointments and gels are available in the market to minimize the appearance of dark circles. You have to ensure that the creams contain active ingredients which can give optimum results. These active ingredients include vitamin K which helps to reduce dilated blood vessels; and vitamin C and alpha hydroxyl acids which aids in the stimulation of the collagen production of the skin. These nutrients also help lessen the appearance of dark circles caused by ageing and genetics. Some of the best under eye cream available in India are:
1. Aroma Magic Under Eye Gel:
This is one of the most affordable and effective under eye gels available in the Indian market. This under eye gel gives an immediate cooling effect and refreshes the eyes. It effectively combats dark circles and tired looking eyes with regular application. You will find visible improvement in about one month of usage which leaves the skin fresh, healthy and nourished. It retails Rs 120 and is easily available at leading online shopping sites.
2. Khadi Under Eye Gel:
Khadi Under Eye gel contains some natural ingredients like olive oil, almond oil, wheat germ oil, soy protein and aloe vera which not only moisturises the under eye area, but also provides an instant cooling effect to the eyes. With gradual time, this eye gel reduces puffinesss and fines lines around the eyes and refreshes exhausted eyes. Khadi under eye gel is available for Rs 225 and is available at all leading stores.
3. Wunder Eye Cream:
Wunder Eye Cream is available in 15 grams at Rs 500. In spite of being a cream, this eye cream is extremely light in texture and gets absorbed in the skin within seconds. It keeps the under eye area moisturised for the whole day and reduces the eye puffiness, but works on dark circles only to an extent. It might not effectively remove extremely stubborn dark circles. You can find this cream at any drug store.
4. Oriflame Eye Cream, Seeing is Believing:
This is a light weight eye cream which helps to reduce puffiness, brightens the eyes, reduces dark circles and smoothens lines around the eyes. With regular usage, the shadow under the eye gets reduced and it reduces puffy eyes within 2 weeks. The cream retails Rs 498 and is available only through Oriflame agents.
5. The Body Shop Vitamin E Eye cream:
The Body Shop Vitamin E Eye cream is a moisturising eye cream that protects the delicate skin around the eye and reduces the appearance of dark circles, fine lines, puffiness and wrinkles and keeps the skin soft and smooth. The Body Shop Vitamin E Eye cream is available at all The Body Shop outlets at Rs 1025 for 15 ML.
More than any eye cream or gel, our eyes need good care, rest, proper sleep and nutrients to keep us healthy from inside, not just externally.